Climate change has always been a hot topic of discussion and with Hollywood heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio raising the matter at the recent Oscar awards, it has garnered more attention than ever.
There’s so much hue and cry about climate change and the factors that are killing our planet at a faster rate than ever. We all talk about climatic conditions but have we ever spared a thought on what we can do as an individual at our level, to protect the planet? Yes, there are big corporate companies, forest destruction, extra use of resources and more, but have we thought about tackling issues before turning them into a big deal?
It’s time to follow some of these basic things that will help save the planet in a small but noticeable way:
- Switch off anything that uses electricity when not in use.
- Try not using lights at home during the day if possible. Instead keep windows open.
- Air conditioners use a great deal of electricity. Use natural ventilation or a fan to keep cool, as much as possible.
- Use rechargeable batteries instead of disposable batteries. Batteries not only take up landfill space, as they can’t be incinerated. They also can leak acid into the Earth.
- Save as much water as possible by taking shorter showers.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing teeth, washing utensil or clothes.
- If you have a swimming pool, use pool covers to reduce evaporation and keep leaves out.
- Don’t waste food. Try to use the leftovers.
- Reduce your consumption of meat and dairy as the global livestock industry produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all cars, planes, trains and ships combined.
- Segregate dry and wet waste and have separate trash bins.
- Use cloth bags instead of polythene. Try to use less plastic for daily use.
- Plant saplings and encourage others to do so.
- Make less use of paper.
- Get in touch with companies and services that use waste materials for recycling.
- Use recycled objects. There are many companies that produce recycle objects and they mention it on their labels.
- If you get several catalogs in mails, which you do not need, call and ask them to stop sending them to you.